Architectural Monuments

 
St. George Orthodox Church in Paldiski
St. George Orthodox Church in Paldiski is a typical example of a stone church with classicist baroque roots; it was built between 1784 and 1787.  However, its history dates back further: the Paldiski Apostolic Orthodox congregation, founded in 1721, started when a simple tent was erected as a...
Keila-Joa Hydroelectric Power Plant
The earliest mentions of a water mill at Keila-Joa date back to 1555. In 1928, Keila-Joa hydroelectric power plant began producing electricity; at the same time, there was also a fish farm here, and an old grain mill continued operating. The ancillary buildings of the fish farm were extended in...

The horseshoe-shaped Köismäe Tower is in the western part of the city wall, between the Plate and Loewenschede Towers, on the most exciting street running along the city wall. Constructed in 1360, the tower has a small balcony from which you can access the wall. The five storeys that...

Padise Monastery
Padise Monastery is an architectural and historical site of great importance, not only in Estonian terms but also in those of Northern Europe as a whole. It was constructed in the 14th century by Cistercian monks, but extensions and improvement work continued for more than 200 years. It fell into...
Ellamaa power station
The building of the power station has been built according to the design of architect Vladovski. The construction work was started at the end of September 1922 and in May 1923 the station produced energy for starting machinery of peat industry. The boilers of the station were heated with local fuel...
Vihterpalu manor and park
The earliest records of a manor on this site date back to 1586. The main building, in late classical style, is thought to date from the 1830s. The complex sits on both sides of the tall banks of the Vihterpalu River. The second half of the 19th century saw the construction of what was known as the...
Linnamäe hydro-electric power station
This power station, situated in the lower stretch of the Jägala River, was designed in 1917 by Helsinki University professor A. W. Juselius. Construction began in 1922, with the first energy being produced two years later, in April 1924. Attempts were made by retreating Soviet forces to blow up the...
Paldiski railway station main building
The main building of Paldiski railway station, in crown historicist style, was constructed in 1870 to standard 3rd class Baltic railway designs. Although certain of the original decorative elements adorning its overhangs and roof were lost in the 20th century, it remains the best preserved station...